26 April 2010

Lest we forget

Last year we had a ANZAC day celebration at our place, this year it kind of crept up on us.  But our mate Gav (from Australia) rang us up with a good suggestion that we come over to his place for a roast, and then a movie for ANZAC day.  So last night after the boys had an ANZAC game of cricket (at the indoor stadium built by Wayne) we headed over to Gav's house.  Gav had also invited another couple -- Altug who is from Turkey and his wife from Ukraine.  We didn't try any re-enactments, although I wanted to do so commondo rolls and pretend shooting, but my maturity got the better of me!  The roast was very tasty -- thanks Gav!  We then watched "Kokoda" and earlier in the day with a friend I had watched "The Hurt Locker." I neither understood, or really enjoyed both of these movies. But I did make a comment after watching, that maybe it is good for us to watch these types of senseless war movies once a year or so to remind us -- "lest we forget."
I think it reminds us of 2 things...
**The courage of the soldiers gone before us, and how they gave their lives for our country.  This is something we need to be reminded of, so we don't take it for granted.
**The relative peace we have in our country, and the huge amount of things we can be thankful for. The fact that I don't have to wonder if the next bullet will hit me, that I can sleep easy at night in a comfortable house beside a wonderful husband.
These things I need to be reminded of when I start to complain about "the little things".  Lest I forget the bigger picture.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts...